Skip to content
Press & Media
Bagel Grove was opened in 1988 by Ed and Carole Grove of Sauquoit, NY. Ed Grove first came to the area as an engineer for GE. One night while traveling to the west coast for business, awake and bored in his hotel room, he came upon the inspiration to open a bagel shop. A year later Bagel Grove was born. Bagel Grove recently celebrated its 25th anniversary under the second generation of ownership, Ed and Carole’s son Matthew and his wife Annie Grove.
- – In the City of Utica, September 19th is officially “Have a Dozen Day” as declared by former Utica Mayor Roefaro, on the occasion of our 20th anniversary, September 19th, 2008.
- – In Oneida County, September 20th is officially “Bagel Grove Day” as declared by County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr. on the occasion of our 20th anniversary party, September 20th, 2008.
- Bagel Grove offers a full line of freshly baked bagels, made the authentic way, boiled and then baked. They also have a variety of home-made cream cheese flavors. In our retail outlet in Utica we offer a variety of spreads, breakfast sandwiches and deli sandwiches. We also offer soup and salad. In addition to breakfast and lunch items made to order, we offer a full line of 100% organic, fair trade coffees and teas as well as many locally produced grocery items from local farms including yogurt, milk, eggs, maple syrup, honey and more.
- Bagel Grove makes all of our products at our retail location on Burrstone Road in Utica. We deliver our freshly baked bagels seven days a week to many local cafes, Hannaford Supermarkets, colleges, hospitals and workplace cafeterias scattered within a 30 mile radius from Herkimer to Oriskany and from Hamilton to Rome.
- Annie and Matt Grove
- All of our bagels are made from scratch right on the premises. Following traditional methods, the dough is made the day before they are baked. Making them the day before allows them to rise overnight, flavors to develop and form the delicious crust that makes our bagels irresistible.
- We boil our bagels briefly in water prior to baking, keeping with bagel tradition, making them truly authentic, NYC-Style “water bagels.” The boiling is essential to creating the signature shiny exterior while maintaining the soft and chewy inside.
- We have over 50 varieties of bagels, about a dozen of which are made every day. The rest are made in small batches on a rotating basis. We feature two or three of our specialty flavors at a time until they run out!
- A Bagel Grove dozen is 14, not a baker’s dozen, a “Bagel Grove dozen!”
- All of the eggs in our egg bagels and breakfast sandwiches are delivered fresh from local farms between Utica and Ithaca, you can see and taste the farm fresh difference.
- 25% of our cream cheese and 100% of our lite cream cheese is made by Jones Family Farm in Herkimer, NY. The taste of this cream cheese is incomparable due to the use of fresh milk.